Friday, May 9, 2014

Food For Thought Fridays

So I have finally settled comfortably into living a mostly vegan lifestyle.  I avoid dairy, eggs, meat, fish, honey, gelatin, etc.  I avoid animal products with the exception of my massive stash of wool yarn that I need to use up, then I will convert to synthetics.  I confess that I am not as pro-animal as most, but that is because I believe in balance.  If you've ever had a rodent infestation, it is hard to feel sympathy for the vermin that place your family's health at risk.  I do not believe that torture is appropriate though.  God must have valued the animals enough to rescue them from the flood.  If you've ever read about Smithfield or viewed a video about the way our food is treated, you might think twice.  I take into account the health benefits as well.  I spent many years trying vegetarian, longing to go vegan and having my loved ones (friends and family) talk me out of it.  Or they "unsupported" me out of it.  I have heard it all, included the belief that it is unchristian to be vegan.  No, it is not doctrine to be vegan or vegetarian, neither is it doctrine to be an omnivore.  That being said, I took the dive and with the support of my wonderful husband, I have thrived.  All you need is one person who will stand with you.  They may not be vegan, but just knowing they support you gives you strength.  He has supported me as I continue to channel my quirkiness.  The best part has been that others have come to me for advice because they have felt the pull to vegetarian or vegan but battle the same problems.  What about hanging with friends?  What about missing meat.  I have begun to earn respect from sticking to my guns.  I do not miss the meat, not even the bacon.  The few times I had fallen came from missing cheese.  I no longer miss cheese, especially since I find the life of a dairy cow to be particularly miserable.  I have truly embraced my veggies and occasionally my "fake" meats.  Sometimes I miss processed foods, that's it.  If a Christian wants to be vegan, what says they can't?  There is no Biblical admonition not to.  We were originally created to eat veggies and fruit.  Our sin led us to consume animals.  It is, however, wrong of others to withhold love and support from a brother or sister in Christ because we disagree with their views regarding meat consumtion.
If you find yourself in this position, I recommend a few things:
1: Check out PETA's website for their 30 day challenge, recipes and suggestions
2: Find 1 person who will support you. You have 1 true friend, trust me.
3: Spend a week before the dive sampling many alternative meals.
Here's 1 from Health, Happy, Life at http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/

Vegan Apple-Bacon-Maple English Muffin Grilled Cheese
vegan, serves 2

8 mini strips tempeh bacon or 4 large strips
2 English muffins (gluten free variety used)
2-4 rounds of Daiya provolone cheese (vegan) - sub with any vegan cheese or even use hummus or cashew cream if desired!
1 Pink Lady or Fuji Apple, thinly sliced
1/2 cup micro greens or sprouts
1 tsp maple syrup, grade B
pinch of black pepper
optional: add thinly sliced red or sweet onion for an even more savory, zesty flavor -- a little lemon juice never hurt anyone either

Directions:

1. Tempeh Bacon directions here or you could even use pre-flavored tempeh bacon strips.
2. Warm up you panini press or skillet.
3. Cook the tempeh bacon first, until sizzling and browned around the edges. While the tempeh is cooking you can add the English muffin halves to the grill or pan to warm them.
4. Place the toppings on the warmed English muffin halves, cheese, tempeh, apple and one teaspoon of maple syrup for each sandwich. Add a pinch of black pepper too. (You will add the sprouts or micro greens just before serving.) Grill or cook until the cheese melts over the sides and the muffins lightly brown.
5. Slice sandwiches, lift the tops and stuff the sprouts or greens inside. Serve!

I didn't have the English Muffins, so I made it more lunch-like by stuffing it in a whole wheat pita.  I also added thinly sliced red onions and baby spinach instead of micro greens.  That meant I stuffed the pita before pressing it like a panini to melt the "cheese."

This is what it looked like.  It was more delicious than I ever thought and if you check out her blog, she has a recipe to make the tempeh taste very close to bacon.  More like turkey bacon, but better than expected.  My husband said it was wrong how much it tasted like jerky bacon.  So, good enough fake meat.  Works for me.  This recipe is a keeper, so is the tempeh (my first time trying it) and the Daiya provolone.  Melts great.

If you are new to this, consider the Boca meatless crumbles when preparing a meal that requires ground meat.  I used it for my tacos while the rest of the family ate regular meat.  I plan to make a recipe for "Korean Beef" (check my Pinterest board Yummy Yummy) that can easily use meatless crumbles and I plan to attempt the alfredo stuffed shells as well, with meatless chickn strips, tofu for ricotta and hooked up light coconut milk for the alfredo.  Be creative and, if you are planning to try vegan, avoid Morningstar because it contains milk and eggs and read the label on the Go Veggies closely.  The green pack has milk based products.  Be encouraged, from one who struggled to another, you can do it and you'll feel amazing.  All you have to do is remember that there is support and love, both from someone you probably never expected and from a God who wants us to realize and embrace who He has made us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment