Saturday, July 26, 2014

Yesterday's Menu

I make no claims to be the best photographer.  What? Food photography photos for $20 over at the Minimalist Baker's website.  I should invest.  But until then, please be patient with my LG Phone photos.  I think my iPhone 4S photos were WAY worse.  Could just be me.  I have a few friends who take fantastic photos.  If this gig ever pays, I'll pay them to take my food photos, except I didn't start this to make money.  Otherwise, my photos would be on point.  Either way, shout out to my photo pro friends.  I love them and treasure the gifts that God has given them.  He would want us to take good photos, I think, because memory can be so selective.

So, as I mentioned last night, I eat this coconut sticky rice that is so amazing and probably as high in calories as it is in carbs.  I caution, I am not a skinny vegan.  If I wanted more weight off, I would invest in exercise.  That's for another day, though.  It is based on the Thai coconut rice the restaurants serve as dessert.  I put this





Then



Then

(currants)



Into some


Then into a pot on the stove and cooked it together for 10 - 15 minutes, watching closely and stirring often until it became this


This finished product went into the freezer for a few minutes to cool down.  As I mentioned, I like it warm, so I cool it before eating.  Delicious.  Could be made without currants.  You could use raisins or you could leave them out and top with mango slices for a traditional flavor.  The sweetener is to taste.  I like about 1-1 1\2 tsps, some will add more, some less.  Most times I make enough of this for one.  Sometimes two.  The key is to use enough of the coconut to keep the rice creamy.  There has to be some liquid in the pot with the rice when it's done cooking.  It will be absorbed as it sets.  The rice, for me, must be soft but not soggy.  I also recommend jasmine rice over any other because the fragrant nature of the rice and the sticky texture work well with the coconut.  I have begun to restrict myself a bit, because when I am in the throws of hormonal changes, I crave it and then I wear it in the way of midsection bloat.  One other handy tip is that I store the leftover coconut in a glass jar in the fridge.  Never leave it in the fridge in a can.  Never leave anything in the fridge in a can, for that matter.  The metal oxidizes into the food.  I save many of my coconut oil jars and my pasta sauce jars and they work well for keeping whole spices sealed up tight and for preserving my precious coconut creams.  That same coconut stuff can be used with some Thai curry seasoning, to make an Asian curry.  I'm even thinking of a creamy coconut curry carrot soup.  The 4C's Soup.  Sounds scrumptious.  When I make it, I'll let you know.

So, that's my Friday food.    Hopefully, you try it and enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment