Friday, July 25, 2014

Fantastic Food

I know that this goes against all that I say I am going to do in terms of maintaining our relationship, but...our home has one computer, five children and one college attending adult.  I spend most of my time ordering my days, organizing my homeschooling, doing laundry and maintaining my house.  I did take pictures of what I wanted to show you, but I haven't transferred them or anything.  But, let me update you on some things.

First, I tell you that freezer meals have really set me free.  I have tried menus and meal planning.  I have failed on most fronts.  I can maintain following a menu for no more than 2 weeks before I become very busy.  I have faithfully pulled a meal out and dropped it in the Crock Pot everything day for a week.  I do not look in the cabinet and wonder "what to make today?".  Though, the other day, I looked at the spaghetti sauce and began to panic because I thought I didn't have enough.  Plus, the store is selling Prego pasta sauce for .99 cents right now.  But it would have been an unnecessary purchase because if I'm having pasta with red sauce, the sauce is with the meat in the freezer.  I could release my worries and move on.  We've eaten soup and tacos and chicken Rotini Alfredo with cheese.  We've had sandwiches and chicken Soyaki.  Well, they have eaten it, I'm still eaten vegan.  It has been wonderful.  It has kept my counter cleaner and just changed the dynamic of my daily responsibilities.  Try it, it will free you.  Plus, they have made a TON of leftovers.  Not everyone does leftovers, but my homeschoolers eat them because it is one less this to worry about.  It also breaks the urge to just grab a pizza because dinner is already prepared.  What a blessing.

The next wonderful thing is what I've eaten.  We'll not talk about the fact that I consume too many carbs.  I find jasmine rice to be fairly irresistible when there is extra thick coconut cream in the house.  I make a sweet coconut nice dessert with a bit of agave nectar and this time I also added some clove spice and some mango powder (I think).  I have a jar of whole Garam Masala that I occasionally crush up with a large wooden pestle and mortar, so I can't always identify which seed it was.  It was fantastic, though.  Sweet, creamy, aromatically spicy and just the right temperature.  I typically put it in the fridge or freezer to cool, but I never want it cold, just not scalding my mouth.  And then there was this raw porridge recipe from www.mynewroots.org.  It is called Raspberry Ripple Buckwheat Porridge.  It was delicious.  Of course, I changed it.  I used blueberries and a little fresh ginger in mine, as well as some raw agave nectar (a staple for me) and less than half of a frozen banana for thick, creaminess.  It was surprisingly tasty.  I am finding myself to be a fan of buckwheat.  I toss the groats in my granola, the Soba noodles are amazing and now I have porridge as a breakfast option (because I am so over oatmeal).  I encourage you to scout around, throw some variety into your eating routine.  Try a vegan meal or two.  They are surprisingly yummy and will change your whole perspective.  Maybe even some taste buds.

I will post those pics of the rice dessert tomorrow.  I will also share something that I've got going on in my life that is very relevant to my dietary perspective.  Until then, enjoy your Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment