Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Knitting and Destashing

Good evening internet world! This unexpected post is about one of the big obstacles to my minimizing.  It is all about my knitting.

I am a knitter. Long ago, I learned to crochet. I'm not knocking the crocheters out there, but I always thought those two needles clicking away looked SO COOL.  So, I picked up one of those teacher yourself to knit books with drawn diagrams and learned a basic knit stitch.  A friend taught me pearling and knitting in the round and basic binding off.  All I need, as far as I'm concerned.  Unfortunately, a love for knitting leads to a love for yarn.  So much yarn...yikes.  I had hopes for many projects and during the school year, I am simply not that productive with my knitting.  But this summer, I tackled a few hanks of yarn (those oddly twisted bunches of yarn that look like cinnamon twist donuts, for you non-knitters) by making my first shrug.  I am so pleased with it.  Here is one look at it from the back:



And from the front:






And then I realized that it was reversible.  The bulk of the ruffles could be on the bottom.  That made me even more pleased.  Of course, I seemed to have only uploaded a photo from the back, but here it is:


Sometimes, when I am not on time with my posts, it is because I am too interested in my knitting to get off the couch.  When this was finished, I picked up some other needles and got straightaway to work on a hat that would use up some of my Red Heart yarn.


 When the hat is done, I will have dusted off 7 skeins of yarn.  Quite an accomplishment for me.  I also, have not purchased new yarn in some time.  Trust me, those A.C. Moore coupons are tempting but if I have no specific project for it, I'm resolved to not buy it.  Best way to keep the supply down, and never have more than 3 projects on the needles.  That's a tip to live by, as a knitter.  Best of luck tackling your stash and enjoy your night.


No comments:

Post a Comment